Summer Reading Program

I love the Summer Reading Program at our local library!  You get a prize when you sign up, and then you get prizes when you read 10 hours for the summer. You get a little sheet that helps you to track your hours and how much you read. This is our second summer doing it and it is so much fun! Especially now that Judah is finally starting to make a connection that how much he reads is linked to something.

Last year had a hard time with figuring out how to document our reading, because we definitely don't always read for 15-minute chunks. So this summer I decided to use little rocks that you can find at the dollar store and we count each of those as five minutes. We each get a jar, and after we read for five minutes or however many minutes, we get to stick that number of rocks into the dark! It's nice because I get rocks for reading on my own, and for reading to the boys!

From left to right: my jar (biggest because I read the most!), Judah's jar, David's jar, supply jar. Usually, once the supply jar runs out, we will count our rocks and color!

So, I will read to the boys for 10 minutes, and we will each get two rocks into our jars.  Then when the supply jar runs out, I will have Judah color in his segments on his reading sheet.  It gets him really excited to be able to color in so many pieces of the clocks! I also like to have him pick out a color for me to use on David's sheet. I just use pen on mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily To-Do Free Printable!

Octopus Craft

Gnomes